My name is Laura Congiu and I am a freelance illustrator, comic artist and digital colorist, sometimes venturing into graphic design and video editing. My activities also include teaching for adults and children, especially in the area of digital techniques applied to comics.
I am based in Sardinia (Italy), but I am used to work remotely as well.
I attended the courses of the International Comic Center in Cagliari, of which later on I became a collaborator; right after the comics school I got my first work experiences as cartoonist, illustrator and digital colorist; and I began the collaboration, that went on for several years, with Cagliari based studio Shibuya, with whom I had the opportunity to learn and practise the basics of pre-production, 2d animation and video editing.
The aspect I love the most about the profession I’ve chosen is the possibility of communicating and telling stories through images. In this sense, my ‘first love’ were and certainly remain comics, but later on I also began taking an interest in other languages and media, as video productions and live drawing performances.
I mainly use digital techniques, but I often alternate or mix them with traditional ones, which were anyway my first approach to drawing and coloring; and in general, I really enjoy experimenting new techniques and forms of expression.
I called my website Laura Who? because I’m not exactly the kind of person who tends to draw attention… but neither the one who takes herself too seriously.
I also have a domestic Kraken, but I’m never really sure what part of my CV to write it in.
Partial client list
- As illustrator: Filmmuseum Potsdam, Festival Nues, Arkadia, Starwood Costa Smeralda, Condaghes
- As comic artist: Tunuè, L’Unione Sarda edizioni, Internazionale dei comics
- As comic colorist: Libellus, San Paolo Periodici, Rizzoli Lizard, Casterman
- L’isola delle nuvole – Festival Nues, Cagliari (2009)
- Il fumetto in Sardegna – Festival Nues, Cagliari (2010)
- E Dio creò la donna – Spazio SEARCH, Cagliari (2015)
- The Raven – MEM Mediateca del Mediterraneo, Cagliari (2019)
- Cada Contu – Museo del Costume, Nuoro (2019)
- Inferno – Group show di illustrazione – Galleria Siotto, Cagliari, and online (2021)
- Annual comic course – Centro Internazionale del Fumetto, Cagliari (2002)
- Illustrated book creation workshop, by Pia Valentinis – Associazione Libriforas, Cagliari (2012)
- Character design and Painter workshop, by Enrique Fernandez – IDEA Academy, Roma (2015)
- Illustration and gouache technique workshop, by Daniela Volpari – OA OpenArt, Cagliari (2016)